Creve Coeur Lake

Creve Coeur Lake Park - Trail Builders

This trail is located within the ‘upper’ section of Creve Coeur Park. The Bootlegger's Run trail is now more than 5.5 miles in length, with several interesting features including multiple ravine crossings, banked turns, and dips. The trail is similar to those at SIUE, with moderate elevation change, and tight and twisty areas through lots of new growth trees. It can be ridden as fast, or as slow as the rider's skills allow.

Directions

Take I-270 to the Dorsett Road exit, and head west on Dorsett Road. Turn Right into the Park on Streetcar Drive, and then continue down the road into the park. Look for a lighted softball field on the right, followed by tennis courts and then a large gravel parking lot - turn right into this lot. Look for an obvious opening in the woods along the tree-line near the back left-side of the tennis courts. Head into the woods and look for the trail on your left. If you get to a large, flat, “T” intersection, you’ve gone about 20 feet too far.

About the Park

Maryland Heights is home to Creve Coeur Park, one of the region's most popular parks, which is operated by St. Louis County. The park boasts a 320-acre lake as well as the picturesque "Dripping Springs" waterfall. A popular summer resort in the early 1900s, the lake is now known for its paved walking and cycling trail, playground equipment, picnic pavilions, boating opportunities, athletic fields and much, more.

The name of this 320 acre stocked fishing lake, County Park, and city (a suburb of St. Louis) are all named after a French phrase "Creve Coeur," which roughly translates to "burst heart" or "broken heart." The name was reportedly adopted for the way that the lake resembles half of a heart. Like all good legends, this one has a back-story to go with it. It is said that a young Native American princess fell in love with a local French fur trader, but that her love was unrequited. Her heart broken, she leapt from the cliffs overlooking the lake and the lake reformed into that of a broken heart. Dripping Springs, the falls that trickle down a ledge in the park resemble small drops, or the tears of the young maiden.

Trail Information

Rating

Beginner / Intermediate

Length

5.6 miles

Type

Loop

Weather

Trail Conditions

Latest Conditions

From The Krackheads on Fri, 01/15/2021 - 11:23am - Creve Coeur Lake (St. Louis Area)
Very soft and susceptible to ruts. Please do not ride.
From chriscap on Mon, 12/28/2020 - 5:13pm - Creve Coeur Lake (St. Louis Area)
Luckily I rode there today to flatten all the foot prints and bike tracks left from walking and riding when it was really soft. Bike has near zero dirt after ride. If you can’t ride it, you shouldn’t walk it.
From Molonghorn on Mon, 12/28/2020 - 3:35pm - Creve Coeur Lake (St. Louis Area)
Freeze/thaw Very rutted on west side near Dorsett due to riders tearing up the track.
From Juicer on Thu, 12/17/2020 - 9:29pm - Creve Coeur Lake (St. Louis Area)
90% of the trail good this morning. Remaining 10% was grease. Freeze-thaw in effect. Temp was upper 20s.
From Molonghorn on Mon, 11/30/2020 - 7:13pm - Creve Coeur Lake (St. Louis Area)
Absolutely perfect! Thank you GORC for clearing the leaves.
From The Krackheads on Tue, 11/24/2020 - 1:16pm - Creve Coeur Lake (St. Louis Area)
For the most part firm tread, there will be some splashy areas from the leaves being removed, High trail traffic today with hikers, runners.